OUR SMART TIPS FOR ORGANISING A GREAT CHRISTMAS PARTY
Sun 15 Feb 2015
Organising the Christmas Party is no mean feat. Everyone in the office is relying on you to organise the ultimate work party night of the year. Here at Smart Group, we have over 20 years experience in organising Christmas parties so read our top tips for a helping hand.
1. Get a brief and a per person budget from the boss
When the boss asks you to organise the party, make sure you get the following information:
- Per person budget
- Standing or seated
- Will a speech, presentation or awards be given out
- Any other objectives other than having a good time?
Don't let them say 'just gather a few ideas', remember you wouldn't go shopping for a rolls royce if your budget was more suitable to a ford fiesta.
2. Recruit a committee
Create a Christmas party team and delegate! It's a great way to get people involved and means you don't have to run around like a headless chicken. How can they help?
- It's good to have a few people help with venue research and attend show rounds
- The masterchef judging panel! Good food is vital to any event, make sure the venue or caterer offers you a tasting where you and the team can decide on a menu that is suitable to all.
- The finances - get someone from accounts on the committee to deal with the finances if that's not your strong point.
- The RSVP process. No-one has time to chase attendance from hundreds of people, get a team member to manage the RSVP process. We recommend using eventbrite, which is a free tool which can be used to send out invites, manage the RSVP's, send tickets, collect dietary requirements and even provide a seating plan. WIN WIN!
3. Don't let the boss deliver a financial presentation at the party
No-one will listen, it's that simple. Presentations and speeches at Christmas parties are best kept for thank you's. If your boss has business stats to deliver, get them to put them in an email and send it round to the team during the day. They are more likely to absorb it with a cup of tea at their desk instead of trying to concentrate after a bottle of wine at the party.
4. Remember to cater for all
Whilst many will let their inhibitions go at the Christmas party, not everyone wants to shot tequilla and spin round the dancefloor. Create pockets of entertainment, the show stopping dancefloor with high energetic acts, mingling entertainment acts in the lounge areas and even the classic casino for those who fancy a flutter. Our team at Smart LIVE are experts in producing bespoke ideas, take a look at their page.
5. Choose a location with good transport links and a well resourced taxi rank
At Battersea Evolution, we lay on a taxi rank to ensure our guests can be at London Victoria in just 5 minutes at the end of the evening. A poor location for a party can be a real sticker, so make sure there are plenty of transport hubs nearby.
6. Enjoy yourself
Make sure you choose a venue or an events company that really will take the stress away from you so you can enjoy the champagne and put your dancing shoes on. Here at Smart, we make sure you don't lift a finger, find out more about our parties and the team.
A NEW ERA FOR EVENT CATERER, MOVING VENUE
Mon 19 Jun 2017
After 33 years, 2017 will mark the dawn of a fresh rebrand for Smart’s venue catering specialist – Moving Venue. Click here to find out what's changed.
TRY OUR PIMM’S RECIPE FROM SMART GROUP’S HEAD OF BARS
Fri 16 Jun 2017
The summer is finally upon us and what better way is there to celebrate than by trying our mouth-watering recipe for one of Britain’s most loved summer drinks – Pimm’s
THE ANNUAL FRIENDS OF BATTERSEA BBQ
Thu 15 Jun 2017
On Wednesday 13th June 2017, Smart Group were proud to support the Friends of Battersea summer BBQ, providing the perfect opportunity to give back to the community of Battersea.