Meet Newcomer Richard Gordon with a Halloween Twist
Tue 06 Jun 2017
This month we welcome Richard Gordon to the Moving Venue and Smart Hospitality teams as Group Head of Bars & Beverage Operations. Seeing as it’s the end of October, we thought we’d welcome him into the team with a Halloween edge!
Throughout his career, Richard has worked in a number of full-time and freelance positions for many of London’s catering companies. Before joining Moving Venue, he worked as a senior member of the operational team at Rocket, and was instrumental in setting up their new facilities.
1. What is your favourite scary film?
Any Alfred Hitchcock thriller
2. What is your favourite place in the world?
West Cork in Ireland or anywhere my family is
3. If you could only make one drink for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Nothing too complicated – a really fresh and simple Mojito. If that wasn’t on offer, I would open a bottle of 1664
4. If you had a super power, what would it be?
To be able to teleport, whether it’s just to get across London for work or to sit on the beach for an hour
5. What is your biggest fear?
Seaweed – a very complicated phobia and scarring experience when I was younger
With Richard’s superior knowledge in wine and all things beverage related, we couldn’t resist asking him what he thinks a fun Halloween-themed cocktail would be!
- 50ml bourbon whiskey
- 15ml Grand Marnier or Cointreau
- 2 tablespoons of pumpkin purée
- 30ml maple syrup
- Angostura bitters
- Orange peel twist or rosemary sprig for garnish
Richard advises: “I know it’s not easy putting together a cocktail for people to produce at home. I don’t want them rushing to the shop and being left with lots of bottles they will only use once a year. So, what we have here are ingredients they’d probably have on a shelf somewhere and the rest of it is all Halloween-appropriate. This is a good way to use up the pumpkin after carving it.”
- Put any spare pumpkin flesh into a blender until it is as smooth as you can get it (however don’t worry too much about it as you will pass it through a fine sieve)
- Combine the pumpkin purée, bourbon (you can use Jack Daniels if that is all you have), Grand Marnier, maple syrup and two drops of Angostura bitters in a shaker filled with ice
- Shake well and strain through a fine mesh strainer or sieve into a chilled old-fashioned glass full of ice
- Garnish with a rosemary sprig or twisted orange peel and enjoy with friends