Wednesday 30th March 2016
As the full blown madness of festival season draws to a close and hundreds of thousands of festival-goers are hanging up their floral headbands, fringed bags and denim cut-offs, there’s no doubt that the summer festivities are an invaluable opportunity for brand exposure.
Here at Smart LIVE we thought it was the perfect time to look back at some of this summer’s best festival brand activations and what the essential things are that brands need to consider to achieve an impactful, immersive experience that will stay with festival-goers long after the event…
SEAMLESSLY BECOME PART OF THE FESTIVAL EXPERIENCE / STORY...
- Strongbow at Parklife & Isle Of Wight Festivals, created an apple tree DJ booth, hosting upcoming talent, a seating area, bar and photo booth, whilst providing their latest cider samples.
- Coachella is known as the party festival, so McDonalds built a giant adult ball pit at the festival, giving revellers a chance to party like a kid!
BUILD BRAND LOYALTY & APPRECIATION BY RESPONDING TO A GENUINE AUDIENCE NEED
Think of your audience and what you can do to make their festival more comfortable/enjoyable – provide a bit of home comforts and it will go far with audience perception & appreciation of the brand. In turn, they’ll be more likely to share it with their friends…
- Wireless Festival: Our very own New Look pop-up shop with festival fashion accessories & essentials.
- T in the Park & V Festival: Lucozade bottles drop-off to revive weary morning-heads!
- Coachella Festival: H&M pop-up shop providing air conditioning, water & wifi. Heineken cold storage, buy two cases of Heineken and they will keep it cold.
- Glastonbury: EE did 4G mobile hotspots & wifi.
LEVERAGE SOCIAL NETWORKS
Create a social media strategy with specific goals you want to accomplish. It’s important to be platform-specific and treat each channel as an individual entity. Exploit social media to share announcements, deliver shareable content, feature winners and target influencers. Incorporate growing trends like photo booths (and selfies!) to get your logo going viral on popular festival platforms such as Instagram.
THINK OF THE EVENT LEGACY…NOT JUST THE MOMENT!
When devising an activation, wherever possible brands should think about how they can continue and develop the relationship beyond the event i.e. through capturing data, encouraging social, ways that keep you connected.
- NHS Blood & Transplant set up a “Drop Stage” where festival-goers could perform whilst signing up to the blood donor register.
Festivals are a great opportunity for brands to reach new audiences and make ideas stick. If you need any assistance with your brand activation drop a line to the Smart LIVE team: CALL 020 7836 0562 / EMAIL email@example.com